Monday, January 23, 2017

Rising From The Ashes of Loss, My Voyage Through Grief: excerpt # 20

First chemotherapy: part 2

... "Hi my name is Angie and I will be looking after you today,” we suddenly heard from an approaching nurse.  She was a friendly looking middle aged, full bodied grey haired woman that spoke with a soft and gentle voice.  According to her demeanour and assuredness, she looked like she’s been doing this job for a long time. Reassuring, I thought.  After briefing Louise on what’s to come, and request that she fills out a bunch of forms, Angie hooked Louise up to a monitor and proceeded with the customary pre-treatment tests: blood pressure, pulse, temperature, etc.  She also consulted Louise’s charts containing the previous day’s blood tests results to verify if she was up to take the treatment.  When Angie decided that everything was cool, she expertly and gently stuck a needle in Louise’s arm and connected it to a tube hooked up to a clear plastic bag hanging over Louise’s head from the bed pole.  The treatment was to last approximately five to six hours.  I sat comfortably in the lounge chair by the bed, picked up one of the many magazines lying around and prepared for the long day ahead.
Reading did not come easily though, and my worried mind was unsettled and wandered off continuously.  As I kept a monitoring eye on Louise, I gave in to my reveries and slowly allowed my mind to slip back in time, reminiscing on the past few horrendous months...
Read more at: http://tinyurl.com/z8uvdsr

Dr. Pierre Milot, Ph.D., Ph.D. (tc)
Therapeutic Counsellor - Life Coach - Author
Online - Phone - One-on-one consultations
Info or free evaluation: 613.703.9237
Website: http://www.drpierremilotphdtherapeuticounselling.com

No comments:

Post a Comment